New Name, Same Content

Craig shares the detail behind his decision to change from That Dapper Chap to Eldred Grove

As William Shakespeare once wrote “A rose by any other name would smell as sweet” So the first thing I want to tell you is that while the name has changed from That Dapper Chap to Eldred Grove, I will continue to offer the same insights, share details of great products and experiences, and discuss topics of interest. The name is the only things which has changed. Now to tell you why!

The smartly dressed, handsome young man above is my Maternal Grandfather. He was a bit of a cheeky chap and always ready with a joke. He was a hard worker and my inspiration. His name was Eldred and he committed suicide when I was nine years old. I’ve thought about him every day since and still miss him.

Like many war veterans he suffered from mental health issues. Issues that were unfortunately not fully addressed and brushed under the carpet with the ‘pull yourself together’ attitude and British stiff upper lip mentality of the time.

He is the inspiration for the new name. As a blogger and influencer it’s my job to share interesting things with you, to inspire and offer some advice. Once I learned that the name Eldred is an old Anglo Saxon name which means ‘Wise Advisor’ it was done deal.

The word ‘Grove’ is the name of a small collection of trees in a single space. Just as I am covering a small number of subjects in a single space.

But Why Change?

There is only one single constant thing in life and that is change. Things evolve, times change and I needed to ensure that I was still relevant in my profession. The name That Dapper Chap immediately conjours images of old fashioned smartly dressed gentlemen. Sometimes I am that, but nobody is that all of the time. In addition I felt the name was restrictive in the content that I was able to offer and the subjects that I could share.

Not only that but with an Australian company called That Dapper Chap, another blog called The Dapper Chapper and a product range called The Dapper Chap, it was often very confusing for people. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve been called Adam, who is the owner of The Dapper Chapper blog!

Eldred Grove for me feels more mature and will allow me to diversify without having to worry that the content I am producing for you is on brand. It’s not specific to any particular thing but is very personal to me.

This isn’t the first time I’ve changed my name and those hardened followers out there will remember me as Craig Rocks In His Socks! A blast from the past, and the name that started it all.

Thank You!

It’s been a great few years and I want to thank you all for your continued support for what I do. It really means a lot to me that people take the time to look at what I create and appreciate it. I do hope you approve of the new name, but that’s all that’s changing, I promise. I’ll still be the same Craig, with the same voice and the same content.

Happy Birthday Eldred Grove, and thank you Granddad for the inspiration.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Share:

12 Comments

1. August 15, 2018 / 4:54 pm

Wonderful! I’m pleased you were able to find the inspiration you needed at just the right time. I love the new name and I’m sure your grandfather would have been so proud.

• August 15, 2018 / 6:14 pm

Hi Alison,

Thank you so much! I’m sure he would be.

2. Martin Bishop
    August 15, 2018 / 6:34 pm

Touching, heartwarming, mature. It feels right Craig. What a fantastic idea to inspire you for the next stage.
    Keep up the great work, I enjoy it so much

• August 16, 2018 / 11:06 am

Hi Martin,

Thank you so much. Exciting times! It felt the right time to make a change. Thanks for being a continued supporter of what I do, it’s very much appreciated.

3. Vix
    August 15, 2018 / 6:38 pm

What an amazing tribute ❤ awesome name…. Thank you for being so open and honest on a subject that lots of people find challenging.

• August 16, 2018 / 11:05 am

Thanks Vix. Being open and honest about these issues is the only way forward and I’ll continue to address these

4. Tony L Jones
    August 15, 2018 / 7:57 pm

Congratulations on your bright path. May the Lord bless you.

• August 16, 2018 / 11:04 am

Thank you Tony. Much appreciated 🙂

5. The DCFashion Fool
    August 15, 2018 / 8:26 pm

Nice. I love how you selected your new name. Congrats!

• August 16, 2018 / 11:03 am

6. Debbie
    August 15, 2018 / 9:12 pm

Hi Craig,

I remember your Grandfather, he was a gentleman and would be very proud of you.
    If I close my eyes I can remember us all sitting around the table at Christmas playing games, the grownups loved to play cards and always involved us children as well.
    You are right, back in the day (despite Busby!) It wasn’t the done thing to discuss your feelings and so I admire you for bringing mental health issues to the forefront and to let people know it’s good to talk!
    I have always struggled to understand why it takes so long to train to be a serviceman but when they are injured and have to leave there is no training to get back into society. Look for the man in the pub with his back to the wall and his eye on the door!! It’s sad!
    Looking forward to your new adventures Xx love Deb xx

• August 16, 2018 / 11:03 am

Hi Debbie,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I have a lot of good memories of him and the family and the get togethers we had. Good times. Mental health is an issue that must be talked about more. For me it’s no different than a broken limb. It should have the same focus and specific treatment. The UK is so far behind in addressing this issue and it’s one that I’ll continue to talk about.

Thanks for taking the time to write. XX